Buffalo Grove's year in review
It was a big year in BG! With so many great accomplishments to celebrate as we get ready to ring in the new year, let’s look back on some of the top highlights for the village in 2023:
Community-wide accomplishments and accolades
- The Village launched its ‘Moving BG Forward’ initiative to craft a 2024-2028 strategic plan, comprehensive plan and community brand initiative to help guide and shape BG’s future.
- Buffalo Grove was ranked the number seven best place to live in Illinois, the number three place with the best public schools in Illinois and the number five place with the best public schools in America by Niche. Stevenson High School District 125, which serves many Buffalo Grove students, was ranked the top school district in America by Niche for 2024.
- Buffalo Grove was recognized with a pair of awards from the America in Bloom national awards program, earning the national award for the 33,000-65,000 population category and a special recognition for urban forestry.
- The Village’s Finance Department was recognized by the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) with a distinguished budget presentation award for the 12th year in a row and was granted a certificate of achievement for excellence in financial reporting.
- Buffalo Grove was ranked in the top 10 safest small cities in America for 2023.
- The Clove development made significant progress and welcomed its first two new businesses, Guzman y Gomez and Chick Fil A. Work on the seven-story mixed use and outlot buildings continues.
- Plans were approved for the new Lazy Dog Restaurant and Bar at Lake Cook Road and Route 83, slated to open in summer of 2024.
- Plans were approved for a new commercial and residential development anchored by a Tesla sales and service center on Dundee Road at the site of the old Rohrman property. Demolition of the existing structures is scheduled to begin soon, with construction to begin immediately following.
- The Village’s Public Works department was recognized with a pair of national awards from the American Public Works Association: the Professional Award in Asset Management and Exceptional Performance in Journalism Award.
- Work began on the Village’s adaptive reuse of 1650 Leider Lane, which will become the new home of BG Public Works in 2024.
- Brian Spolar was promoted to serve as Deputy Police Chief. Spolar has been with BGPD for 27 years.
- The Buffalo Grove Police Department welcomed Police K9 Mac and Therapy Dog Grady to its ranks.
- BGPD became the first law enforcement agency in the state to complete the International Association of Chiefs of Police Trust Building Pledge.
- The Buffalo Grove Fire Department earned prestigious international accreditation from Commission on Fire Accreditation International (CFAI).
- BGFD welcomed new Fire Engine 26.
- BGFD to a total of 5,215 calls in 2023, a new record.