New Public Works Facility
The Village has reached an agreement to purchase a new facility to replace the existing Public Service Center, home of the Public Works Department at 51 Raupp Boulevard. The Village identified the expansion of its public works operation as a high priority as part of its 2017 space needs study. Since the current center was dedicated in 1976, the Village’s population has more than tripled. Staff and equipment have grown to meet the needs of the community.
The new Public Works Facility will be located at 1650 Leider Lane, a former warehouse space that has been vacant for more than two years. Retrofitting this location will come at a significantly lower cost compared to a newly constructed building. The Village anticipates Public Works will be operating out of the new location within the next two years.
During acquisition, remodeling and relocation, Public Works will continue to operate from its 51 Raupp Boulevard headquarters. The Village Board will consider options for reuse of the existing facility leading up to relocation and consistent with the recommendations of the 2018 Lake Cook Road Corridor Plan.
What you need to know about the new Public Works Building
Public Works has grown up alongside the community and the current Public Service Center building is nearly half a century old. Like many aging buildings, major maintenance items and upgrades are required to keep the building operable. Key components of the building including the HVAC system, roof, fuel island, and paved surfaces require significant reinvestment to keep the building operable. However, even with that investment, the site would still not meet the Department's long-term operational space and storage area needs.
There are no current plans for the site. When it is time to completely vacate the current building, any future plans will be in accordance with the Lake Cook Corridor Market Study and Plan.