Village staff works closely with property owners and developers during the development process. The following provides a high level overview of the major steps in the development process.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Development Process is required for anyone interested in developing any of the following:
- More than one single-family dwelling, or two multi-family dwelling units.
- A nonresidential project involving the construction of any new building(s) or structure(s) having a total floor area in excess of five hundred square feet.
- Any project that will require or consists of more than:
- Two parking spaces in any residential zoning district
- Twenty parking spaces in any business zoning district, office and research zoning district or industrial zoning district
- Any project involving the construction of any public or private school, recreational facility, library, hospital, church, or any place of public assembly.
- Any project having a developmental impact upon existing facilities protecting the health and safety of Village residents.
Please contact Nicole Woods, Community Development Director, at 847-459-5530 or via email.
Public hearings provide a platform for the public to be notified as well as voice their opinions about the project. All public hearings are held at Planning and Zoning Commission Meetings.
- Notice of the Public Hearing will be published, not more than thirty nor less than fifteen days before the hearing, in one or more newspapers generally circulated within the Village.
- Public Hearing Sign will be posted by the Village at least 15 days in advance of the public hearing date. The sign will be picked up by Village personnel after the final recommendation has been made by the Commission.
- Notifications of the public hearing will be sent out to the property owners within two hundred fifty (250) feet of the subject property.