Water & Sewer

The village receives its water supply from Lake Michigan through a purchase agreement as part of its membership in the Northwest Water Commission. This commission, which consists of four municipalities, is empowered to plan, construct, improve, extend, acquire, finance, operate, and maintain a water supply system to serve its members and other potential water purchasers.


The new combined rate is $4.92 per thousand gallons for water and  $1.21 per thousand for village sewer for a total of $6.13 per thousand gallons effective as of January 1, 2018. Please feel free to contact the Village if you have any questions. 

Sanitary Sewer Rates

Properties residing in Lake County

Lake County resident's sanitary sewer is provided by Lake County Public Works, but through an intergovernmental agreement the Village of Buffalo Grove collects the sanitary sewer fee ($4.00/1,000 gal) on behalf of the county and transfers 100 percent of the funds collected to Lake County on a monthly basis. Lake County has increased the Summer Sewer credit from 110 percent of winter consumption to 120 percent. The sewer credit is an average of the consumption for the months of October through May. If your consumption exceeds the average sewer amount during the months of June through September, you are charged 120 percent of the average for Lake County Sanitary~ Sewer ONLY. The Village bills actual consumption for water and village sewer each billing cycle.

Properties residing in Cook County

Cook County user / consumers are taxed for sewer treatment via a tax levied by the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago.

Click here for the 2017 Rate Information Notice

Payment Methods

Payments can be made through the mail, in person during normal business hours, or through the drop box after hours (please no cash). Additionally, customer’s bank accounts can be directly debited through the village’s E-Z Pay system or customers may pay online through the village's Water / Sewer Online Payment System.  


For more information, call the Water Billing Department at 847-459-2515.

Water Bill Changes

New home owners should contact the Water Department to establish a new account. An application for metered water service needs to be completed and a driver's license or government issued picture id is required. 

Tenants who are responsible for their water bills should follow similar procedures. All landlords should notify the water billing clerk if a particular property is being leased so that we can apprise them, as well as the tenant, of any issues pertaining to their account.