Sanitary Sewer

Your Sanitary Sewer Service Line
The sanitary sewer service line is a pipe that transports wastewater from your home to the village sanitary sewer main in the street.

Sewer Blockages
Occasionally, the line from your home to the sewer main may become obstructed due to pipe separations caused by utility trench settlement, tree roots, or household items that may have been flushed down the toilet.

If you experience a sewer blockage, notify Public Works immediately at 847-459-2545 during normal business hours. After normal business hours, call the Police Department non-emergency number at 847-459-2560 and they will notify the duty man. A representative will inspect the village sewer main to determine if the blockage exists in the main or within your service connection.

If the blockage is in your service connection, it is your responsibility to have the blockage cleared. Any plumber that is licensed, bonded, and insured can rod the service line to clear the block.

Remember, first call the Public Works Department before calling the plumber.

Tree Roots
If tree roots are the problem, a 99.9% copper sulfate solution can be flushed into the service line to keep the root growth in check. The solution will not harm the tree and will extend the period until the service line has to be rodded. 

However, the service line may be beyond a simple fix and may require replacement of the pipe. This is your responsibility since the village only maintains the main sewer lines.